Thursday, August 31, 2006

Kiwi, why are you always talking about Switzerland?

I'll come out and say it: I love Switzerland. I fell in love with the country two years ago when I spent a semester living in a small town, Mies, outside of Geneva during a program with the School for International Training (SIT). The program was just shy of four months, but I consider it one of the best few months in my life. Unquestionably I learned more in those four months than I ever would've guessed. Many of the lessons and knowledge I gained still stick with me today.

I would not say that I had the "typical" study-abroad experience that many of my friends had. By typical, I mean being surrounded by Americans, living in an English-speaking country (e.g. U.K), drinking myself silly at pubs and not really integrating into the culture. Now, I will not go so far as to say Switzerland is worlds apart from the US, but there is the (multiple) language barrier to jump, as well as a general European culture to explore. You'd be surprised what changing languages and a few social practices will do to your experience.

I went into my program with the full intention of making the most of it. So cliché but so true. Truly getting to know my host family, meeting local kids my age, using my French, understanding Swiss culture and traveling the country were all at the top of my agenda. Luckily, I fell in with two great friends, Brandon and Aaron, who shared the same ambitions. The three of us had unforgettable experiences, learned a great deal about ourselves (especially how we react to challenges, both linguistically and culturally) and how to view life from outside of the general American vantage.

I do not wish to bore you with all the reasons why I love the country, but I will say that living in Switzerland has made me plan to live abroad again sometime (hopefully soon). Don't get me wrong - I am proud to be an American and appreciate all that we have - but I feel that the world has much to offer.

Now I've just got to figure out a way to make it work. Suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home